Welcome! Please like and follow me on Facebook! (Click the top left corner box for more info)

Kahlua Cheesecake

2 types of kahlua cheesecakes, topped with homemade kahlua whipped creamkahlua batter, chocolate crust, chocolate ganche, and kahlua whipped cream


Kayla's Kahlua Cheesecake
by Kayla's Food Obsession


This started as a tale of seeking a kahlua cheesecake recipe that had a good coffee flavor in the cheesecake itself, wrapped by chocolate and covered in whipped cream. The recipe I decided has the most potential also had chocolate in the batter, which wasn't what I was looking for but intrigued me. I decided to try that recipe, but also make one with some variation. The recipe that inspired my version was http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/kahlua-cheesecake-15330


I liked my version better (again, I personally preferred no chocolate in the batter of the cheesecake itself), but I wanted some feedback. Many friends and family were given cheesecake (none turned down free cheesecake), and the verdict was in: they preferred mine and wanted the recipe. That meant I had to make more cheesecake, because I didn't think to write it down the first time (a mistake I frequently make). Also, you will probably note that I completely skip the water bath step. If you want to take that extra step, go ahead. I find that by cooking the cheesecake at a low temperature until just under done (and letting carry over heat finish it), I rarely get a cracked cheesecake result in a 10inch or 4inch springform (risk increases with a thicker cheesecake, such as a 9inch).

original recipe and my recipe side by side comparison

This time I decided to make mini-versions with my 4 inch springform pans (it took 6 of them). I use the same base recipe, but they are done in a shorter amount of time. The cheesecake is also thicker. While making the mini versions, I also took a few more pictures of the process to send to my friends that were in other parts of the country. This was the first cheesecake recipe I modified and wrote down, and many flavors of cheesecake have been made since (more to come in future posts!). 



homemade kahlua used in mini cheesecakes, with chocolate crust and chocolate topping
Covered in ganache





Kayla's Kahlua Cheesecake
by Kayla's Food Obsession

Ingredients
Crust:
1 package crushed chocolate graham crackers (about 1 ½ cups crushed)
1 Tbsp sugar
Pinch salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter

Batter:
3 -8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup Kahlua (I used homemade), or cold coffee concentrate
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/4 cup flour

Ganache:
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp Kahlua or cold coffee concentrate

Whipped cream: (or use premade/store bought whipped cream)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. Kahlua (I use homemade)

Extra decoration ideas
cocoa powder to sprinkle
chocolate covered coffee beans (I used store bought)

Special Equipment:
Springform pans (one 10inch, or six 4inch)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 10inch (9 inch will need additional time. *see 4 inch instructions below) spring form pan with oil, and put some parchment paper in bottom. Spray again with oil to prevent sticking. Combine crust ingredients, press into spring form pan. Place in oven for 5-10 minutes, or until you smell crust toasting and crust starts browning. 
Combine cream cheese with sugar in stand mixer until completely smooth, scraping bowl as needed. Add salt and flour mix until smooth. Slowly add in Kahlua and vanilla until combined. Add eggs (one at a time), mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared spring form pan with crust. Cook about 50-60 minutes at 350F or until edges are set and center is just barely set. Run knife between cheesecake once cool enough to handle. Allow to cool to room temperature before releasing edge of spring form. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours). After this, if you want to transfer to another plate, the parchment paper will help you move it easier.
*to make mini-versions, use six of the 4 inch spring form pans, and reduce cooking time to about 35-40 minutes. 

Before serving:
For ganache, heat heavy cream until hot (not quite boiling). Pour over semi-sweet chocolate chips in bowl and let sit for 3-5 minutes before stirring (heat will melt chips if you give it a chance). Stir until smooth (this will take a minute), allow to cool until it's barely warm then pour over chilled cheesecake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or set (don’t cover). 

For whipped topping (or use premade/store bought), you can either use a stand-mixer (see directions below*) or use a whipped cream dispenser/canister. I recommend combing your Kahlua and cream to taste (just remember the more Kahlua you use, the harder it will be to set up), then finish the process of making your whipped cream. I did not measure, you don’t have to either. Top either the whole cheesecake (which is what I did) or individual slices. Sprinkle with cocoa powder through sieve for extra pretty points.

*For stand mixer you can try this method: When ready to serve, prepare whipped cream topping. Chill bowl and whisk attachment for stand mixer in the freezer for 10 minutes. Pour heavy whipping cream into chilled bowl, and gradually bring speed setting up to medium-high speed. Once whipped cream starts thickening, reduce speed to low and add powdered sugar. Slowly increase speed back up to medium-high until whipped topping is thick enough to maintain it's shape (stiff peak consistency). Reduce speed to medium and add vanilla extract, just until combined. Top each cheesecake with whipped cream, then sprinkle with cocoa powder through a sieve or grated chocolate.






coffee and chocolate together in a creamy mini cheesecake
Whipped cream and candy added before serving




Want a simple vanilla whipped cream? Try my Homemade Whipped Cream recipe.




Interested in other cheesecake recipes or tips? Visit my KFO Cheesecake Tips and Recipe List

Popular Posts